Thursday, December 4, 2008

Cryptocoryne sp. 'Lingga Island, Kampong Desa Musai Barat'

I was again fortunate to receive this cryptocoryne specimen from my explorer friend who made a trip back to Lingga Island (he went there more than 20 years ago when he was much younger). Nothing much have changed there according to what he observed and the villagers there give ample respect to the nature.

Anyway, the specimens I was given have a few unopened spathes attached but unfortunately, they all melted away when I potted them except this one.

The unopened spathe

Day 1

Day 2 (The irregular outgrowths (protuberances) on the limb of the spathe is supposed to be a typical characteristic of C. scurrilis)

Day 4

I decided to cut open the kettle of the spathe before it fully melts.

Too bad that is the best close up shot I could get with my Nokia N73......
The top of the leaf

The bottom of the leaf

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice one, your C. scurrilis flower color is yellow in color as oppose to other.

I think it has been rename to C. bangkaensis.

illumbomb said...

Hi TS,

I too noted that the yellow spathe instead of the usual red shown on 'The Crypts Pages'. However, I have checked with Mr Jan and he advised that according to today's knowledge, it could be C. scurrilis as typical for C. scurrilis are the irregular outgrowths (protuberances) on the limb of the spathe which are not present in C. bangkaensis.

Regards,
T S Wang