Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Back to Sarawak

I went back to Sarawak again last weekend with my explorer friend to locate some of the remaining species of cryptocorynes which I failed to locate during my previous trip last month. Some of the highlights of the trip are as follows:

  • Ate delicious BBQ chicken wings near Kuching airport
  • Travelled more than 400km overnight to Sibu
  • Located C. yujii in a river near Sibu
  • Located C. striolata in a river along the road between Sarikei and Sibu
  • Located C. auriculata in a river along the road between Sarikei and Sibu
  • Visited a beautiful peat swamp forest near Lidong
    • Located C. cf. cordata var. zonata in a few streams near Sri Aman
    • Located C. longicauda with brown leaves in the forest near Pantu
    • Reached C. uenoi location near Sabal Kruin just before sunset again, leaving me with no time to explore the locality, I have no fate with this species
    • Located Tainia paucifolia (do let me know if I identified this wrongly, thanks) in a forest along the way to Lundu

    • Located C. cf. codata var. grabowskii in a forest stream along the way to Lundu
    • Located C. sp. around Lundu
    • Located C. cf. cordata in a forest stream along the way to Lundu
    • Located C. ferrigunea under a limestone hill around Bau
    • Located C. keei in a stream around Jambusan
    • Located C. ferruginea in the forest near Balai Ringin
    • Ate cheap and extremely delicious fried banana fritters bought from these roadside stalls

    • Experienced Kuching's weekday evening traffic jams which almost resulted in us missing our flight back

    I will separately post on the various cryptocorynes located. However, it is a pity that I managed to only locate the blooming spathes of 2 of the species in their natural habitat.

    No comments: