Thursday, September 25, 2008

C. affinis 'Gua Musang'

I went to Gua Musang in Kelantan in West Malaysia for a field trip with my friend last weekend. We went there to check out the situation of the rivers and streams there. Maybe due to the higher altitude of that locality and the presence of limestone, the types of fishes found in the rivers and streams are very limited as compared to those areas along the east and west coast of Malay Peninsula.

We did not managed to catch any interesting fishes this time round but instead we located a fast flowing stream with C. affinis inside. This is the first time I found cryptocorynes in the wilderness in Malaysia (haha, don't laugh, I have been searching in the wrong places previously). And we were lucky to find a spathe to help in the identification process.

This is a close up of the substrate composition in this stream. Its a pity I forgot to collect some of the stream's water back to test the pH. (Added the substrate to distilled water with pH 6.6 and tested the distilled water after 2 weeks, the pH has rose to 7).

C. schulzei update

This new method (new for me) of growing C. schulzei seems to be suitable, new leaves are growing out for most of the plants.

Monday, September 15, 2008

Re-doing my C. schulzei tank

After testing and discovering that the pH of the 'Garden Soil' (burnt soil) I used for my C. schulzei tank is around 8, I decided to re-do the tank. I replaced the mixed soil with just 'Horti" brand soil which has a pH of about 4.5 based on the experiment I conducted previously.

Friday, September 12, 2008

C. schulzei again

I killed my first C. schulzei 'Kota Tinggi' and was lucky to have a friend who helped me collected some again when he went for his fish collection trip in Kota Tinggi. "A handful" was the quantity he told me over the phone but when I collected the cryptocorynes from him, I could separate the entire bunch into 16 separate plants. Some went into my emersed tank when the remainder were planted in a 1 feet tank.

The 1 feet tank was filled with a layer of "Horti" brand soil followed by a layer of "Garden Soil" (the aunty who sold me the soil told me they were burnt soil from Indonesia). The cryptocorynes were planted inside and distilled water was added until the cryptocorynes were completely submersed in water.

This is how it looked like after the soil particles settled down. The yellowish granules inside the water are Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis (BTI) to kill any potential mosquito larva.

Hopefully the cryptocorynes will grow strong and healthy and reward me with some flowers!!!

Thursday, September 4, 2008

One Happy Family

I have set up a simple cube tank (five-plan brand) to rear some fishes that can be found within the same habitat: Parosphromenus rubrimontis, Sphaerichthys osphromenoides (Chocolate Gourami) and Boraras maculatus (Dwarf Rasbora). Housing these few species of fishes together with P. rubrimontis helps to reduce their shyness by a little.