Saturday, July 26, 2008
Unknown sp. bought from Teo farm, possibly a varient of C. wendtii?
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Saturday, July 19, 2008
The results after 1-2 weeks of test are as follow:
- plain distilled water: pH 6.6
- GEX (light green packaging): pH 6.6
- Kanuma soil: pH 6.4 - 6.5
- 'Kotobuki' brand Dr Soil substrate: pH 6.5 - 6.6
- used 'ADA' brand Amazonia + Aficana (50%:50%): pH 6.2 - 6.3
- 'Horti' brand peat moss: pH 4.0 - 4.5
- 'Horti' brand soil: pH 4.5
- Lapis sand with coral chips: pH 8.0
- Sphagnum moss from Japan (don't bother using low grade ones): pH 5.0
- Akadama soil: pH 6.6
- Lapis sand: pH 7.8
- 'Muji' brand substrate: pH 7.4
- Ketapang Leaf: pH <4.0
- 'Aquamedi' brand Black Peat Granules: pH 4.0 - 4.5
- Ocean Free brand Super Pro-Peat Granules: pH 4.0 - 4.5
- Garden soil 'burnt soil': pH 8.0
- ADA Amazonia II: pH 6.2
- Volcanic rock: pH 7.2
- First Layer Pure Laterite: pH 6.8
- used ADA Amazonia: pH 6.8
- SUDO Medaka Pink Sand: pH => 8.0
- SUDO Crystal Orange Sand: pH 7.4
- SUDO Real Brown Sand: pH 7.8
- SUDO Bottom Sand: pH 7.2
- used ADA Amazonia mixed with lapis sand: pH 7.0
- live sphagnam moss: pH 5.0 - 5.5
- used ADA Africana: pH 6.2 - 6.4
- coconut husk: pH 7.0
- Magic Soil: pH 6.4
- lawn sand: pH 7.0
- pH 4.0: 'Horti' brand peat moss, dried ketapang leaves (will cause discolouration of water readily), 'Aquamedi' brand Black Peat Granules, Ocean Free brand Super Pro-Peat Granules
- pH 4.5: 'Horti' brand soil
- pH 5.0: Sphagnum moss from Japan (don't bother using low grade ones), live sphagnam moss
- pH 5.5: no suggestion so far
- pH 6.0: ADA Amazonia II
- pH 6.5: GEX substrate (light green packaging), Kanuma soil, 'Kotobuki' brand Dr Soil substrate, Akadama soil, used ADA Africana, Magic Soil
- pH 7.0: First Layer Pure Laterite, Volcanic rock, used ADA Amazonia, SUDO Bottom Sand, used ADA Amazonia mixed with lapis sand, coconut husk, lawn sand
- pH 7.5: 'Muji' brand substrate, SUDO Crystal Orange Sand
- pH 8.0: Lapis sand, Garden soil 'burnt soil', SUDO Medaka Pink Sand, SUDO Real Brown Sand
The below are the pH of the water at the various natural habitat of various species of cryptocoryne which I had the good fortune to visit:
- C. affinis 'West Pahang' - 7.2
- C. auriculata 'Sungai Modor' - 6.0 to 6.5
- C. bullosa 'Pakan' - 6.5
- C. bullosa 'Sungai Seblak' - 5.5
- C. cordata 'West Kalimantan' - 5.5
- C. cordata 'Rompin' - 5.0 to 5.5
- C. ciliata 'Sungei Sedili Besar' - about 6.5 if I never remembered wrongly
- C. elliptica 'Perak' - 5.0 to 5.5
- C. ferruginea 'Balai Ringin - 4.5 or less
- C. ferruginea 'Bau' - 6.8 to 7.0
- C. fusca 'West Kalimantan' - 5.5
- C. griffithii 'Bintan' - 6.8
- C. griffithii 'Karimun' - 6.5
- C. griffithii 'Upper Thomson' - 5.5
- C. keei 'Jambusan' - 8.0 to 8.5
- C. keei 'West Kalimantan' - 6.5
- C. lingua 'Sibu' - 6.5 to 7.0
- C. longicauda 'Betong' - 4.5 or less
- C. longicauda 'Bintan' - 6.6
- C. longicauda 'Lachau' - 4.5
- C. longicauda 'Pantu' - 4.5 or less
- C. minima ' Perak' - 5.0 to 5.5
- C. nurii 'Mersing' - 5.5 to 6
- C. nurii 'West Pahang' - 7.0
- C. pallidinervia 'Sibu' - 4.5 or less
- C. striolata 'Sungai Assan' - 5.0 to 5.5
- C. schulzei 'Kota Tinggi' - 4.5
- C. uenoi 'Sabal Kruin' - 6.5
- C. xpurpurea 'Tasik Bera' - 5.0 to 5.5
- C. cf. xpurpurea 'Mersing Barat' - 5.5
- C. yujii 'Sungai Nibong' - 4.5
- C. sp. 'Kota Tinggi' - 6.5
- C. sp. 'Lingga Island, Daik Timur' 'White Line' - 6.4
- C. sp. 'Lingga Island, Reddish / Yellowish Flower' - 5.0 to 5.5
- C. sp. 'Pahang River' - 5.5
- C. sp. 'Peninsula Malaysia' - 5.0
Updated on: 20th Dec 2009
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
It was grown in used ADA Amazonia + Aficana (50%:50%) and was doing fine so when I transferred it into the main section of my emersed tank (see post on my emersed tank for more information) during May 2008, I retained the type of substrate used and inserted 1/4 Wonder-Gro root+ tablet.
After another 2 months, this is how it currently looks like in July 2008:
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
When the new plantlets of these cryptocoryes mature, I will then experiment to grow them in higher pH (i.e. pH of about 6) conditions. Lets not take any unnecessary risk now......
Sunday, July 13, 2008
- lack of pH buffering substance in the water (I removed the bag of peat moss from the water about 1 month ago after confirming that the pH is low enough)
- introduction of more fishes (added 01 betta, 02 croaking gouramis and 01 Aplocheilus panchax which I caught during my field trip) + increased feeding
I do not think I currently have cryptocorynes which require really low pH to survive (or do I???). I will have to closely monitor the entire situation before decided if further actions are required to be taken to lower the pH again. So pals, for those who wishes to have a low stable pH in your emersed cryptocoryne tank, think twice before adding fishes!
Saturday, July 12, 2008
I am growing it in used ADA Amazonia + Aficana (50%:50%) mixed with Horti brand peat moss also as well as with a 1/4 of a Wonder-Gro Root+ tablet inserted. There is already a new plantlet growing out at one side already currently (anyone interested in an exchange?). The new leaves look rather different from the old leaf which was attached when I first obtained it, they are more elliptically shaped and less bullated.
The roots are growing well too as can be seen in the below photograph.
Thursday, July 10, 2008
This is how it looks like now after close to 2.5 months, notice the new leaves are not bullated and have a lighter shade of green:
Look at the healthy root growth growing out of the pot into the water:
The substrate that I used for this cryptocoryne is used ADA Amazonia + Aficana (50%:50%) mixed with peat moss (Horti brand) plus 1/4 of a Wonder-Gro Root+ tablet inserted. It looks like there is a runner root newly formed (in the 2nd photograph, on the right side of the cryptocoryne), hopefully I can get it to propagate and flower soon, wish me luck!
Wednesday, July 9, 2008
Sunday, July 6, 2008
I finally decided to start a cryptocoryne blog too to record my experience in collecting and cultivating cryptocorynes. I can be considered a new comer in this interest group and have only set up my emersed cultivation tank in mid April 2008. Through blogging, I hope to make many friends all over the world who share the same interest, and exchange information as well as cryptocorynes! Thanks!
T S Wang aka 'illumbomb'
- C. affinis 'Selangor'
- C. affinis 'Gua Musang' (N - Sep 08)
- C. affinis 'Pahang'
- C. affinis 'West Pahang' (N - Mar 09)
- C. auriculata 'Sungai Mador' (N - Sep 09)
- C. bullosa 'Pakan' (N - Aug 09)
- C. bullosa 'Sungai Seblak' (N - Aug 09)
- C. ciliata 'Sungei Sedili Besar' (Dead)
- C. cordata 'Mersing'
- C. cordata 'Rosanervig'
- C. cordata 'Rompin' (N - Jul 09)
- C. cordata 'West Kalimantan' (N - May 09)
- C. cordata 'Sri Aman'
- C. cf. cordata 'Dayu'
- C. elliptica 'Perak' (N - Mar 09)
- C. elliptica 'Penang'
- C. ferruginea 'Balai Ringin'
- C. ferruginea 'Bau'
- C. ferruginea 'Sungei Kerait' (F - May 09)
- C. ferruginea 'Serikim'
- C. fusca 'West Kalimantan' (C - Jun 09)
- C. griffithii 'Bintan' (C - Jan 09)
- C. griffithii 'Nee Soon'
- C. griffithii 'Karimun' (N - Jan 09)
- C. ideii 'Kalimantan' (Dead)
- C. cf. ideii 'West Kalimantan' (N - May 09)
- C. keei 'Jambusan'
- C. keei 'West Kalimantan' (N - May 09)
- C. lingua 'Sibu' - (N - Aug 09)
- C. longicauda 'Betong' (N - Aug 09)
- C. longicauda 'Bintan' (M - Dec 08, F - Apr 09)
- C. longicauda 'Johor' (N - Dec 08, F - Mar 09)
- C. longicauda 'Lachau'
- C. longicauda 'Lidong'
- C. longicauda 'Marup / Engkilili'
- C. longicauda 'Pantu'
- C. minima 'Perak'
- C. cf. minima 'Ponduk Tanjung'
- C. cf. nurii 'Bintan' (C - Feb 09 to Mar 09)
- C. nurii 'Mersing' (N - Apr 09)
- C. nurii 'Central Pahang'
- C. nurii 'West Pahang' (N - Mar 09)
- C. nurii 'Terengganu' (C - Mar 09)
- C. pallidinervia 'Sibu' (N - Aug 09)
- C. pontederiifolia 'Upper Thomson' (F - Oct 08 to Jan 09)
- C. schulzei 'Kota Tinggi'
- C. scurrilis 'Indragiri Hulu, Sumatra' (M - Apr 09)
- C. striolata 'Lundu' Red (Dead)
- C. striolata 'Sungai Assan' (N - Sep 09)
- C. striolata 'Gunung Besar' (N - Feb 10)
- C. uenoi 'Sungei Sabal Kruin'
- C. villosa 'Batang Siat Central Sumatra'
- C. xpurpurea 'Lundu'
- C. xpurpurea 'Tasik Bera'
- C. cf. xpurpurea 'Mersing Barat' (M - Mar 09, C - Apr 09)
- C. yujii 'Sungai Nibong' (M - Sep 09)
- C. sp. 'Anambas Islands' (M - May 09)
- C. sp. 'Natunas Islands'
- C. sp. 'Lingga Island
- C. sp. 'Lingga Island, Yellow Flower' (C - Nov 08)
- C. sp. 'Lingga Island, Red Flower' (M - Nov 08, N - Jan 09, C - Jan 09)
- C. sp. 'Lingga Island, Daik Timur, White Line'
- C. sp. 'Kota Tinggi' (N- Dec 08 and July 09, C -Dec 08, F - Apr 09)
- C. sp. 'North Pahang'
- C. sp. 'Pahang River'
- C. sp. 'Malay Peninsula' (M - Apr 09)
- C. sp. 'Lundu'
- C. sp. 'Singkep Island'
- C. sp. 'Sungai Bawang Central Sumatra' (Dead)
- C. sp. 'Kampong Durain Central Sumatra' (Dead)
- Any species (with origin known) not listed above!